Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Movies of the (upcoming) Month

For a change I'm going to make judgements about films purely on rumours and my own personal prejudices. Which obviously means I'll be correct in every single one of my comments, and if by chance I am wrong then I reserve the right to change my mind.
Because I'm a girl.

We start December with some crackers. We have Four Christmases with Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn, and we all know what that means right? It's gonna be crap. Joining that wonderful yule time shit fest will be yet another crap film, High School Musical 3: Senior Year. Now excuse me if I don't get all excited like a pre-pubescent boy who has just seen a glimpse of boobs for the very first time and needs to change his pants, but come on! One was enough to scar the world completely thank you very much.

Then we have teen vampire flick Twilight to whet our whistles, and to be honest I couldn't care less about it. It's gonna be the same old teenage moody angst but this time, shock horror, it will be with VAMPIRES! OMFG! Vampires? Seriously? And the acting looks shite as well.

I think I've noticed a trend, because we also have Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa coming out as well. And for all intents and purposes I can pretty much guarantee it will be exactly the same as the first one, just on mainland Africa. Though at least the penguins will be back - they were the best bit of the last one.

On Boxing Day we have the big releases - the ones that should make you sit back and take notice because, dammit, these are gonna be awesome films. Well, they should be at any rate.

But to be honest, out of a list of like 8 movies, only 4 look actually tempting. We have Frost/Nixon which is based on a play based on an interview between disgraced former US President Nixon and young whippersnapper of a journalist from England, Frost. It looks to be a great film, especially if you know about the interviews that the film is based on.

Then we have French drama I've Loved You So Long with Kristin Scott Thomas. This had rave reviews in the UK and France and she is generally a very strong actress. Expect tears in this film though. Lots and lots of tears.

Another film that looks to be a tear-jerker (as well as somewhat disturbing) is the next Brad Pitt film, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. About a man who ages backwards, you just know that there is gonna be a lot of tragedy and heartache, but also some heart-warming moments too. Though nothing can beat Brad's death in Meet Joe Black.

And lastly there is the sex-addled film Vicky Cristina Barcelona. This is supposed to be Woody Allen at his depraved best. Also, it features girl on girl action, and that's always something I can get behind!

No comments: